Sunday, January 12, 2014

King of the Wild Frontier

At this time a year ago, I was well into the dog search process. Lady needed a buddy.

I knew I wanted a smaller dog this time around. But also a grown dog, not a puppy. So I looked and looked... and I came across a pup on the OKC Animal Welfare site that caught my eye.

I went to check him out, but alas, he was gone to an adoption event that day. So I prowled around the shelter and came THISCLOSE to taking home a little black lab puppy. But I decided to head out to the adoption event, since I'd come so far to see this dog.

I walked in and immediately saw him. He caught my eye and stared me down. I walked through the rows of dogs, trying to play it cool (why???), when the woman next to me said, "I think that little guy likes you." I walked him around the store. He peed on everything (men). I took him by the big dogs to see how he'd react and he was curious and friendly.

So I signed the papers and took him home. And promptly told him his new name was Davy Crockett.


In three words- he is brave, cute, and naughty. This dog knows no fear... which I worry will be to his detriment one day. I admire his courage and his strength. He has been through some tough health problems this year that have broken my heart, but his spirit is strong! He is also the most wonderful cuddle bug. I use him as a heating pad as needed. But boy he is naughty. Once in a while he gets inspired to just RUN AWAY. Tsk tsk, dog. He lives up to his name, I suppose.

He and Lady have gotten close. I have noticed that they cuddle together a lot now, and really enjoy being together. 

I hope for many years of adventures to come.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

RUNN OFT !!!
Pie Pie

Anonymous said...

Davy is adorable! I got a new pal this past year, too, and he has made all the difference. Pets make such wonderful friends :)

Kate Lynch said...


I must appreciate the blogger. This is the most useful blog for everyone.