Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sandpaper for the soul

I went to Honduras almost two months ago, and since then I've been praying and thinking about how to put into words how God moved me there.

One word that has knocked around my head since then is re-sensitizing.

Life happens, and it is so easy to be swept away into work, relationships, even ministry. Especially ministry. I had started to forget that to minister and recieve of the love and mercy of Christ is more than logistics and organization and duty. It's more than majoring in minors, appeasing your different constituents, and worrying about how things will work out.

Between the kindness and generosity of the Hondurans, the dedication of the Predisan staff, the hearts of my teammates, the prayers of many friends here and the work of the Holy Spirit, I feel as though the callousness was worn away and I am more sensitive to God and His work in me and the world around me. I feel as though I'm able to love better, keep my priorities in a more kingdom-oriented order, and be closer to His heart.

It doesn't necessarily take a mission trip to clear your mind and re-orient your perspective, but I am so thankful that God found me there and is still completing that work in me.

*Photo of an impromptu worship service of patients waiting to be seen at the Predisan clinic. By Angela Roadman. Buy her book "The Faces of Honduras" by clicking here.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Hey Ann,

I just spent some time catching up on your blog. Just wanted to leave a note to say I love you and I'm praying for you!

Unknown said...

wonderfully said