Thursday, March 13, 2008

Gumption

Yesterday I watched "The Holiday." If you haven't seen it, it's a pretty sweet little movie. I could do without the Cameron Diaz/Jude Law storyline, but hey, if it lets me see Jude Law's beautiful self on screen for two hours, I can't argue. :)

What I truly love is Kate Winslet's character. I suppose she's meant to represent an average girl (which would be impossible for such a beautiful woman, except for her excellent acting), and she is profoundly brokenhearted over an unrequited love who uses her and treats her as an object.

I won't tell her whole storyline, but through circumstance she happens upon an old-school Hollywood script writer who she quickly befriends.

He, unlike the men in her life, see her as she truly is, and in a poignant moment over dinner says, "In the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason you are behaving like the best friend."

She responds, "You're so right. You're supposed to be the leading lady of your own life... I've been going to a therapist for three years, and she's never explained things to me that well. That was brilliant. Brutal, but brilliant."

Oh, the power of truth tellers in our lives. I believe any person who lives a Spirit filled life can be a truth teller to those who believe lies about themselves. Speaking truth over a person- naming them with the names and gifts God has given them- is a powerful and freeing gift.

I know the problem exists as much in men as in women, but I am a woman so that's my perspective. :) How much do we long to be the leading lady, but often settle for less than they desire or deserve. Moreover, so many women are in denial that a) they truly desire to be a leading lady and b) that it is okay to want that.

I speak on behalf of myself about a personal metamorphosis that has taken place in my own life over the past several months. Through a bizarre series of serendipities, circumstances, and the power of the Holy Spirit, God has been teaching me so much about who God created me to be and how He wants to use me through the unique creation He made me. It's been a difficult and painful process, but honestly I don't know that I've ever felt more peace about who I am or where I'm going.

One of the hardest things to learn is to stand up for myself, whether it is to other people, to the lies Satan tries to tell me, or even to myself. I can't lie about how hard it is (especially when you're not really too convinced of the truth yourself), but thankfully, the Lord seems to have blessed me with an extra measure of conviction. :) Other words to help you better understand my "conviction", if you don't know me, are things like passionate, headstrong, opinionated, etc. :) I think that's the first step.

At the end of the movie :::spoiler alert:::, Kate Winslet's thorn in the flesh shows up begging for her to return to him. She, now aware of her true "role", is now empowered to kick him out of her life. When he asks what has changed, she replies, "I don't know, but I think what I've got is something slightly resembling... GUMPTION!" :)

I love that! I know seeing this movie again was a good reminder of what so many people need. First, people to speak truth into their lives and second, a the courage to stand up for themselves.

3 comments:

jettybetty said...

The father of lies just keeps speaking to me--and sometimes I listen. I sure wish I didn't do that. Thanks for your encouragement here!

Holly said...

You are so right. It is really powerful when we speak the TRUTH over other people and even over ourselves. It is powerful in the natural and in the supernatural!

archana said...

hey... this is Archana, a 27 yr old in India. I read your article cauz only last week I was narrating to my friend the story of 'Holiday' and the parts you mentioned. We think alike.

GUMPTION. Speaking the truth has not been all that of an issue for me...Its more about the aggression and guts to do things. Its more so about a lack of goal.

I often hear people say, that I am a nice person, intelligent and creative( sorry for not being modest). But I am unhappy because I do nothing about these qualities - for lack of gumption.

Still figuring out ways to incorporate it in me.

Lemme know if u find a way!!

Have a great day and keep writing!!

Regards
Archana