Friday, February 03, 2012

On George Clooney and Kindness

St. FrancisThe other night I was watching Inside the Actor's Studio, featuring George Clooney. One thing that came up several times in the two hour interview is the high priority he places on kindness. He said that he'd rather make his income doing coffee commercials overseas and make movies he enjoys with people he enjoys. He chooses movies based on how fun and kind the actors and other set members are because "if you're going to spend 4 months of your life with people, you should enjoy it."

This resonated with me because it's something I've thought about more and more over the past few years. Kindness is a rare virtue. You can find people who are smart, entertaining, funny, talented... but if they aren't kind, those characteristics can wear thin pretty quickly.

I want to be kind. I want to be around people who are kind. I want to work with kind people, date kind guys, marry a kind man, and have kind kids one day.

It's not the most glamorous of virtues, but it's a foundational one.

No comments: