Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Ode to why I have been absentee

Hello, you wonderful people. If you're still reading then you are, in fact, wonderful. :) I know I should be blogging, especially since I have nothing but free time on my hands, but I just can't bring myself to do it. And here is my theory why.

Abraham Maslow developed a system called the Hierarchy of Needs. Simply put it states that before you can worry about the higher levels of existence you must be stable in the lowest levels of existence. For example (see the website), I think in Japan I was at or nearing the self-actualization level. I had a great job in my field with great friends. I was stable in many many ways. But now I have found myself knocked on my butt back to the first level-- physiological needs. I live day to day just focusing on keeping a few calories in me.

So... as much as it sucks, and as much as it is against my personality to do so, I have really pulled away from a lot of my friends. I feel like I'm sinking all this energy into being well so I have little to spare. I hope my friends can forgive me and just support me through this. I'm trying to be better. See, I even made myself blog tonight. :)

As for how I'm doing, it's hard to say. I am improving in some ways, but not others. The specific prayer request I have is that I can gain weight. I keep losing and I have nothing left to loose except the good stuff (muscle, organs, yadda yadda). So that's that. I'll keep you updated. Love you all! And mad props to all my friends who've recently started blogs! Y'all are awesome bloggers!!!!!

8 comments:

Jessica Graumann said...

I love you, Ann! I wish I could be there with you. I love you so much!
Jessica

Anonymous said...

Ann, I completely understand the turning inward thing - I tend to do the same. Kudos to you for dropping the Maslow ref though! Pysch people everywhere are beaming.

I love you and I am praying for you as always.

Anonymous said...

From one who is not a blogger--Eloise. I am glad that you are. If you check for comments on your last blog you will find this.

Peter brought me up to date on you yesterday. Your blog says exactly what he said...'you are out of the hospital...only went in for iv treatment." Whether I check here again or write a comment, please know that I am thinking of you always. Please tell your mom...post happy birthday. I heard from Bailey this morning. He might have a letter from you since he had 400 letters in his "in" box.

Being a couch potato should help you gain weight. Try some Ensure--canned concentrated milk shakes. Some ill people in another category use this to try to gain weight. This might help unless of course it is too rich for your tummy and digestive system....Good luck on the weight gain.

May God bless and keep you always (you and your family--your entire family circle)

Anonymous said...

I pushed the wrong button. I did not plan to be anonymous....sorry

love

eloise in Juo

Leah said...

Thanks for the comment and I hope you are doing well. It was pretty cool seeing Lance Armstrong, even though we aren't huge fans and don't even know that much about him. I hope you are doing well and are gaining weight--like some one said, I would be more than happy to share some. Love ya girlie! Let me know what you are up to these days!
Leah

Anonymous said...

Awesome Blog! I added you to my bookmarks.
tongue cancer site covering tongue cancer related stuff.

Anonymous said...

Ann should only be blogging if Ann wants to blog, regardless of time and circumstance.

I'll be praying too.

-Ash

p.s. I've added you to my protected post list, no worries.

friend said...

blessings to you - hope your getting healthy