Tuesday, January 24, 2006

What on earth?

I love words. I think words have innate power and beauty. However some people do... amazing things with words. Here are two examples I experienced on the drive up to OKC Sunday.

The first was a marquee for a church building in the metropolis of DeKalb, Texas. It said, no lie:
"The Bible-- believe it or be wrong."
I burst out laughing when I saw it. I just could not believe the sheer arrogance. But hey, I should learn not to be surprised when it comes to church-folk.

The second was a song we heard on the radio. What you must understand is that there is a stretch of the journey from T-town to OKC in which you can pick up nothing but country stations. I'm not a country hater, but I'm not a big fan, either. But when this song came on the radio, I again burst out laughing when I realized what they were saying. Here are the words to the chorus, again, no lie:
"At that honky tonk badonkadonk
Keepin' perfect rhythm
Make ya wanna swing along
Got it goin' on
Like Donkey Kong
And whoo-wee
Shut my mouth, slap your grandma
There outta be a law
Get the Sheriff on the phone
Lord have mercy, how's she even get them britches on
That honky tonk badonkadonk"

I understood this song only because my sister had informed me a few weeks ago that a "badonkadonk" is a shapely booty. So... yeah... what a song. :) And y'all were picking on the "Cartoon Song"??? :)

So there ya go. Hope you were as amused as I was.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I don't really know you, but i read your blog sometimes, and I have to tell you that I had the same experience as you did with that song! I couldn't believe my ears when I heard it! So weird.