Friday, August 03, 2007

Making Oatmeal Good

Okay, I need blogland help. I recently switched from eating the yummy instant oatmeal (brown sugar and maple flavor) every morning to going for the all natural rolled oats. Pros- much healthier. Cons- tastes bad. Well, maybe not bad, but it's hard to get a whole bowl down every morning.

So here's the deal. I need some help making it better. I already cook it with milk. I add cinnamon, raisins and natural apple sauce now. That makes it almost good, but I'm looking for more additive ideas. The stipulations are that they can't contain refined sugar. Oh yeah, and I don't like nuts.

Here are the suggestions I've had so far. Help a sister out and tell me what you think.

  • cinnamon
  • apples
  • raisins
  • vanilla extract
  • nutmeg

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Use 3-Minute Oats rather than Quick Oats. They're more substantial and taste better IMHO.

Anonymous said...

Add a dash of salt, try 3 minute oats.
pie pie

Anonymous said...

you might try adding a little honey if it's the sweet taste you miss.
or you might try cooking the raisins in with it from the beginning to get the flavor in - but that will change the texture a little.
it's a pity you don't like nuts, because a few chopped & toasted almonds in there makes a big flavor difference.
there are several natural sugar alternatives (raw sugar, stevia) but i've never tried them myself.
i just end up going back to brown sugar. just less of it.

Pamela said...

My best friend Lisa is the queen of yummy healthy and Natural foods. She has this great recipe for something called baked oatmeal. She cooks a whole pan of it and it's lasts all week. I'll get the recipe from her and email it to you. She also introduced to me to stevia as your friend julie mentioned. It's pretty potent sutff. Haven't tried it myself but LIsa sings its praises.

Kari said...

Hello! Okay, this might or might not work, because I like the taste of it plain. . .
I occasionally like to cook it with soy milk, instead of regular milk or water. I use Silk brand.
I'm not really sure what refined sugar is or means either, but if syrup isn't refined than try that.
When we were little, my dad always would put a little butter, a little sugar, and a little brown sugar. Then a little milk. But again, I don't know what refined sugar means so that might be out.

Good luck!