Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I am accomplished!

In case you haven't yet questioned your productivity and/or value to civilization, here's a website that can help-- Things Other People Accomplished When They Were Your Age.

At age 25:

The future mythologist Joseph Campbell decided to move to Woodstock to read the classics for five years, nine hours a day. Living on very little, he would make himself readily available as a dinner guest.

I do live on very little. So maybe I'm close to achieving this.

Orson Welles coscripted, directed, and starred in Citizen Kane.

Hmm... I've kept a blog for three years. I suppose I could turn it into a screenplay then star in it. I'll start on that.

By this age, Charles Chaplin had appeared in 35 films.

I think I'm going to appear in the background footage of a Dennis Jernigan special OETA filmed at the last praise night.

P. T. Barnum bought a "160-year-old" slave woman and began a career in show business.

I have no slave women, but think I do know enough odd people to start a freak show.

Janis Joplin made her first recording, "Cheap Thrills," which grossed over a million dollars within a few months.

Charles Lindbergh became the first person to fly alone across the Atlantic, thus winning a $25,000 prize.

Fayette, N.Y. farmhand Joseph Smith founded the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He claimed he translated the Book of Mormon from some golden tablets revealed to him by the angel Moroni.

Hmm... note to self... keep eye open for gold tablets.

Bavarian painter Aloys Senefelder invented the lithograph.

French engineer Benoit Fourneyron invented the first waterwheel turbine.

Activist Mollie Steimer became the first person to be deported from both the United States and the Soviet Union.

Heehee, I have yet to be deported from any country!

Physician Roger Bannister broke the four minute mile. As he collapsed unconscious into the arms of his trainer, the loudspeaker announced, "The time was three..." The uproar of the fans drowned out the rest of the announcement.

I have a feeling that I've missed the boat on cracking any four minute miles.


But I do think I have accomplished quite a bit!

Ann at 25-

I have lived on 3 continents.

I have studied 5 languages.

I have survived 3 major surgeries.

I have translated 2 books of the Bible from Hebrew to English.

I can juggle.

I have stood up for what I believe in.

I have accumulated the best group of friends in the whole wide world.


I'm proud of myself! Orson Wells doesn't have anything on me. ;) What have you accomplished that you're proud of???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am twice as old as you ;-)
piepie