Friday, December 14, 2007

ICE APOCALYPSE CONTINUES

In case you're wondering what the going rate is in karma for making fun of an ice storm, for me at least, it has been almost 6 days without electricity in my apartment.

Before you cry, wail, gnash teeth and pity me, I have been very well taken care of while staying with friends. The cat is also okay, although severely attention starved. My house's heat runs on gas, so she has not turned into a cat-cicle. In fact, it has probably been substantially warmer in my house sans electricity than in my office with electricity.

OC was pretty hard hit electrically and in the landscaping. Our administration, faculty, and staff really handled it all like champs, and I'm not just saying that because I work here. It was a really tough situation but they kept everything under control. (FYI-- For details of what happened on campus and the response, click here for a statement from the President).

I went to check on the house/cat yesterday, and it still amazes me how torn up my neighborhood is. I think we have a lot of older trees, and most peoples' yards are filled with limbs that fell or they've had to cut. I'm hopeful that maybe we'll get electricity today, but with the second wave moving in today/tonight/tomorrow, I'm not sure what will happen.

Just wanted to update you all. Stay warm and safe.

12-15 UPDATE

I have electricity in my house as of last night! :) Woo hoo!

1 comment:

Pamela said...

I was watching some footage of the ice storm on the news while I was at work the other day...not pretty. I'm glad to know that you are safe and warm and I hope you'll be back home with Penny Lane soon!