After a super fun day of "blowing stuff up" by the river, I noticed strange spots on my feet.
They quickly went out of control.
You can't tell here- mercifully- but below the knees I had 75+ bites on my right leg and 50+ on my left. By Monday I was in MISERY.
I started with conventional treatment- Benadryl cream and Benadryl. Neither was effective. At. All. I became desperate and looking on the internet. Just FYI- NO ONE AGREES. Hot, cold, wet, dry, etc... everyone has a different idea.
So I turned to some alternative methods.
Yes that is Scotch tape on my legs. It stopped me from scratching, at least. But as soon as I went outside they became sweaty misery (can you tell I'd lost all shame at this point)?
Two things have worked for me. 1- Vapor rub + a moving air (fan, AC, etc). This only helps on a superficial level, though.
What really did the trick was this-
A baking soda+water paste on my legs, allowed to dry. I sleep like this. It stings at first, but it's the only thing that felt like it was actually healing the bites. My house is covered in baking soda. It's in my belly button and may never come out. But I don't care! Thank you, magical baking soda.
So friends, don't be like me, and foolishly believe your bug spray is waterproof.
Unrelated- Amy tagged me! Here you go. :)
1. How often do you go over the speed limit? Not too often. 5 or maybe 10 over. But without cruise control, sometimes if my mind wanders, my foot gets heavier or lighter.
2. Do you dance like crazy when no one is looking? Just when no one is looking? I am a wild woman.
3. If you were going to be stuck on a desert island which book, movie, and which CD would you take with you? Hmm. East of Eden, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and Tchaikovsky.
4. What did you get in trouble for as a kid? smarting off, fighting with my sister
5. What really gives you the creeps? the texture of smooth paper, touching fish
6. What was your favorite toy when you were a kid? rolly pollies!
7. You run into a friend while shopping. Where were you? Target
8. When you fall asleep are you usually on your side, stomach, or back? back
9. If fat or calorie intake were not an issue, what food would you consume the most? donuts and coke! Not together. :)
10. If you could hire one of the following, which would it be: Driver, chef, maid, or stylist? maid, easily
11. What movie have you watched the most? The Notebook, Madea Goes to Jail (the play)
12. What perfume do you wear? Moonlight Path by Bath & Body Works, Hypnotic Poison by Dior
13. What was your favorite sitcom growing up? The Simpsons
14. What were you doing the last time you had a really good laugh? I am lucky enough to laugh really hard pretty much every day at work.
15. What was the very first concert I ever attended? Acappella! Who'd have thought one day I'd be a groupie. :-P
16. Who is the 4th person on your missed call list? Harrison. Oops! :)
17. How long does it take you to get ready in the mornings? I can get ready in as little as 10 minutes, but usually I get up 1.5 hours before I leave the house. I take my sweet time. I like waking up early.
18. When is the last time you went to the mall and what did you buy? JC Penneys... a dress... last month
19. Ever go to camp? Band camp in junior high, church camp 2 years in high school. I wasn't a good camper. :)
20. Do you collect anything? Black and white vintage photos