Friday, February 04, 2011

My Everest- My Driveway

I may have mentioned before that I'm a bit obsessed with Mt. Everest. I absolutely don't want to climb it and think those who do are crazy, but I do love watching documentaries about it.

So, what better time to live my crazy Mt. Everest dreams than during Snowpocalypse 2011? [Un]luckily for me, my driveway is my Everest.

I've talked about my driveway before. This weekend I measured. It's approx 130 feet. 9 feet wide. It is sloped and bordered by a fence. This makes it a nightmare for drifting snow.

But yesterday- day 3 of Snowpocalypse- I was determined to try to get out! My car was in my garage and blocked in. And all that stood between me was that driveway. And the snow. And the lack of a snow shovel. But I did have a large rake and a regular shovel.

So anyway, I set out in 15 degreeish weather. I suited up.


This is what it looked like to start:


Then it looked like this.


Three hours later, it looked like this:


And that's when I wanted to collapse. Suddenly I felt very cold. :) I measured- I got about 50 feet done. I think it was the hardest 50 feet, but still, 80 MORE FEET. Kill me. Not really.

When I stopped, I realized there was steam rising off of me. I tried to get a picture of it. This is the best I could do.


Okay, that's not me, but that's pretty much what I looked like. :)

Today I worked from home. I walked to the store. I'm still homebound and more snow came down today.

If my driveway is my Everest, then I was one of those climbers who decides it sounds so nice to take a nap in the snow. And then dies there. But really, but kind of. :)

Respect the mountain.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Oh my Ann. This looks bad. I got out for the first time yesterday too, but I didn't have to walk. Good job on that 50 feet!

Shyla said...

Good luck! Those drive ways are a bugger ;)!

Unknown said...

That's when you just shovel out two tire tracks and hope that you have clearance over the rest of the snow. :)