Friday, March 11, 2011

My heart is in Japan

It would be wrong to say nothing about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan on my blog. This blog was birthed out of my year in Japan. If you look back through August 2004- July 2005, you can see many of my great adventures. I'm so thankful I have them chronicled here to remember.

This morning, like most of Americans who go to bed before 11pm, I heard about the earthquake in Japan. It took me a while to realize that it was actually somewhat near where I lived, Hitachi, and that the resulting tsunami had to have hit my beautiful port city.

My heart has been heavy all day. I have heard from many friends in Japan confirming they are ok, but there are others who still haven't been able to make contact. I shudder at the thought that my school that I loved and where I taught was less than a quarter mile from the ocean. The only report I've heard about Hitachi is that they were hit with a 30 foot wave. It happened at about 3pm Japan time, so you can put together why this makes me so sick.

But I hope as daylight has arrived in Japan and news becomes more readily available, I'll receive continued confirmation that the people and places I love are safe and stable.

The Japanese are nothing if not resilient. I hope you'll join me in continued prayer for the nation.

3 comments:

Shyla said...

I understand. I was worried about a few friends as well. Luckily All of my concerns have checked in. But I continue to pray. This was absolutely tragic.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that my friends are safe and well, praise God. I will of course pray for your friends, and for the entire country.

Andrew said...

Thank you for showing the personal side of the disaster in Japan. I hope and pray that your friends are all OK.