Sunday, May 26, 2013

We rescued each other

One year ago today I moved to Norman. And as soon as my necessities were in my apartment, I drove to Pets and People Humane Society, and brought home a dog that I had met 2 weeks before and had placed a hold on the week before.



Looking at these pics make my cry. This sweet girl had been at the shelter over a year. She had been adopted once and returned. Her name was Sunshine.

I almost didn't even notice her. She wasn't housed with the other big dogs. Instead she was in the office with the people and the little dogs. When I saw her, she was so subdued. I walked up to her crate and she looked forlorn, but licked my hand. I took her out for a walk and she animated.



I'd looked at dogs for a month, and she was my dog. That was it. At the time I didn't know about Black Dog Syndrome. I didn't know the challenges she'd present and the richness she'd bring to my life.

We've gone over 500 miles and we have thousands left to go. :)

Yes, I rescued Lady Bird. But believe me, she rescued me every bit as much.


1 comment:

Elizabeth - Elizabeth-Michelle.com said...

She's beautiful. And you did a wonderful thing :)