Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Motivation!

As many of you know, I majored in teaching English as a foreign language in college, and I also studied a few langauges. So, as I figure, in theory, I should be pretty good at learning foreign languages since I've studied technique and theory and all of that. But the cold, honest truth is that I'm really not! And while there are a few reasons, I can give you the #1 reason why I and most people have such difficulty learning foreign languages...

MOTIVATION!

Studies show that the true, defining factor of success at foreign language learning is attitude and drive. But I suppose that's probably true in many arenas in life... but we're talking about languages. :)

So I look at my own history. Spanish... yeah I liked it, but I liked it in the sense that you like knick knacks... a fun thing to have and play with once in a while, but not really that big a deal. Hebrew was great; I loved it and did really well while I was actually studying. I think I did have motivation there... a great teacher, the best study partner in the world, and some healthy competetion. :) Japanese... yeah, that didn't go well at all. And I admittedly had a horrible attitude about it from the beginning. Any coincidence? And of course Portuguese... let's just say I've found motivation. :) We'll see how it turns out!

So all that to say... well... not sure what the point of this blog is. Feel free to draw your own conclusions. Tchau!

What, did you think this was going to be some big spiritual anecdote? ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was totally hoping for an anecdote, but I guess you're one-a-weeking it like the paid preachers. I'll try to drum up some financial support for you, pass around a collection plate, make it all proper-like.

But really, Ann, I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog, anecdotes or no. You're a fantastic writer--self assured, witty, and provocative. I most definitly concur with whomever it was that thanked you for keeping up so well with your blog, for always having something so keen to say to make the rest of us think.

Susie said...

LOL--I've got a great motivation for ya!

I am a 3rd generation native Houstonian (transplanted into God's country of Alabama--Heart of Dixie). I used to work in a Luby's cafeteria when I was younger, and let me tell you, if you didn't speak Spanish, you didn't get your food accurately ordered!
; )

Mark and Kelly said...

I could have used you the other day. I took a trip to lovely Ushiku, home of BRASHOP...no, not a Japanese lingerie store. BRA as in Brasil. I purchased, among other things, Brasilian Easter eggs, flour for farofa, maracuja juice mix, and kibe. All overpriced and totally worth it:) I had a crazy, mixed-up conversation with the store owner in Brapanese (or Jasilian). I was wishing you were there--saudade!

Anonymous said...

I recently decided to broaden my horizons and decided to learn a new language; the question is what should I learn? I’ve asked a few friends and they were useless! Everyone was telling me something different, in the end I have decided to attempt to learn French. I studied French a bit during my time at school but have forgotten most of it! Does anybody know of any reasonably priced but high-quality language learning software?