Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Small Enough

A few months ago I gave my testimony to my small group at church. The morning I was going to share it, one of my good friends handed me a CD and told me there was a song I needed to hear before I did. It was the album "This Mystery" by Nichole Nordeman, and the song in particular was "Small Enough."

The phrase "personal relationship" is over-used and abused in Christian circles, so I hesitate to use it, but that is truly the heart of this song. God is the God who acts in bold and mighty ways, but He is also the Father who knows how many hairs are on my head.

My friend wanted to remind me that although God has worked visible and powerful miracles in my life, He still cares when my feelings are hurt or have a bad day. I didn't realize then the powerful ministry this song would have for me in the months since I first heard it, but I thank God for His provision before I knew my need.

Oh great God, be small enough to hear me now
There were times when I was crying from the dark of Daniel’s den
I had asked you once or twice if you would part the sea again
Tonight I do not need a fiery pillar in the sky
Just want to know you’re gonna hold me if I start to cry

Oh great God, be small enough to hear me now
Oh great God, be close enough to feel me now
There have been moments when I could not face Goliath on my own
And how could I forget we marched around our share of Jerichos
But I will not be setting out the fleece for you tonight
Just wanna know that everything will be alright
Oh great God, be close enough to feel me now

All praise and all the honor be to the God of ancient mysteries
Whose every sign and wonder turn the pages of our history
But tonight my heart is heavy and I cannot keep from whispering this prayer-
Are you there?

I know you could leave writing on the wall that’s just for me
Or send wisdom while I’m sleeping like in Solomon’s sweet dreams
I don’t need the strength of Sampson or a chariot in the end
Just wanna know you still know how many hairs are on my head
Oh great God, be small enough to hear me now

No comments: