Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The Modern Lament

I recently heard a wise man speak on the fact that the church is sadly lacking in laments.

Thankfully, we have St. Bono of Dublin, patron saint of every emotion the heart feels. :) Lately, I haven't been able to listen to my standard music. It's a little too gentle for how I'm feeling. So I've returned to U2.

What I like is that they can express the deepest emotions of the heart while remaining faithful to the complexity of each and in their intertwining.

Longing-

I have climbed highest mountains, I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
I have run, I have crawled, I have scaled these city walls
Only to be with you
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

Anticipation-

Something is about to give
I can feel it coming, I think I know what it is
I'm not afraid to die, I'm not afraid to live
And when I'm flat on my back I hope to feel like I did
And hardness, it sets in
You need some protection on the thinner the skin
Pain-

I'm around the corner from anything that's real
I'm across the road from hope
I'm under a bridge in a rip tide
That's taken everything I call my own
One step closer to knowing
I'm hanging out to dry with my old clothes
Finger still red with the prick of an old rose
Well the heart that hurts is a heart that beats
Can you hear the drummer slowing?
One step closer to knowing

Humility-

Tough, you think you've got the stuff
You're telling me and anyone you're hard enough
You don't have to put up a fight, you don't have to always be
right
Let me take some of the punches for you tonight
Listen to me now- I need to let you know
You don't have to go it alone
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
Courage-

Love is not the easy thing.
The only baggage that you can bring
Is all that you can't leave behind.
And if the darkness is to keep us apart
And if the daylight feels like it's a long way off
And if your glass heart should crack
And for a second you turn back
Oh no, be strong.
Walk on...
What you got they can't steal it
No they can't even feel it
Walk on...
And I know it aches, and your heart it breaks
You can only take so much... walk on

Does anyone else have any music they turn to when they need something that captures the rawness of life? Anyone want to identify the songs I referenced?

With my gratitude to my U2 Sempai, Peter-san.

5 comments:

ann said...

As of this morning, I have also added John Mayer's Continuum to the raw listening list.

Mark and Kelly said...

U2 does it for me, too. Especially:

Take these hands
Teach them what to carry
Take these hands
Don't make a fist no
Take this mouth
So quick to criticise
Take this mouth
Give it a kiss

Rachel O said...

I always revert to Alison Krauss. Mainly because she has such a wide range of work, sad utter depressing songs that make you want to sit in the floor and cry ("New Favorite") or other very upbeat and happy songs, and even spiritual songs.

But I'm a huge sucker for bluegrass in general. It's such a wide range...They sing about Jesus and keeping "your hand on the gospel plow", or killing and burying the lover who scorned you. It's peppy vengeance!

friend said...

Great excerpts. thanks for the blessing.

natalie said...

I just love U2. I had to refrain from singing the words you typed as I read them :)