Friday, October 31, 2008

Paris- Versailles

One of the things I was most excited about seeing in France was Versailles, which served as the royal palace for the monarchs of France. The last royal family to live there was Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette and their children. Then the French Revolution happened.

In case you go to France and want to see Versailles, be forewarned that it takes a very full day to see even most of it. I think to see all of it would take more than one day. Be prepared to walk a lot! I figured out (thanks to Google Earth) that we probably covered 6+ miles that day. Ross and I just collapsed once we got home that night, but it was absolutely worth it. Read a little bit about French history before you go so you can appreciate it more.

Here are pictures!


It's pretty bright. And pretty big. And pretty gaudy.


Apparently Louis XV was very religious. This looks just like my church. JK!


Marie Antoinette's bedroom. And apparently a few ghosties are still lurking there.


This is the Hall of Mirrors. The entire banquet hall is lined with mirrors. And this is the obligatory photo.


Random statue in the gardens of Versailles.


More of the gardens. They sprawl. And they're gorgeous.


We trekked out to Marie Antoinette's private estate. Clearly the Versailles castle was not enough for her. She had about 8 or so cottages on her estate. Isn't Paris in the fall gorgeous?


Another of her cottages. Great light. We were out there at dusk.


She had lovely gardens throughout her estate. This is a flower in the foreground with a pumpkin patch in the background.


Another lovely home.

Versailles- two big thumbs up! I highly recommend you take the day to go out there if you're in the area.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I'm so jealous! I've been there, but I was with a big group so I didn't get to see nearly as much of the grounds!