Saturday, June 05, 2004

Hello Again from Itu!


Hello my friends!
I just wanted to write again and share with all you guys how things are going here. Have I mentioned how much I love this town and this country? :) Being here has really worked up the fire in my heart for Brazil. We have continued to visit many English schools. I think we have probably been to 7 or 8 by now. This afternoon we are going to a youth rally being held by the jovens (youth group) of the Igreja de Cristo in Itu. I have to tell you about how amazing this youth group is. First of all, the joven group in Brazil isn´t just for high schoolers, it´s pretty much where you stay until you get married. :) Also, usually campaign groups are guided and scheduled and directed as to what to do by the local missionaries. But not here! There are 4 people, Ivan, Vanessa, Jandira, and Marusa, who are leading us. They are all 22 or younger, and have arranged their work schedules and their lives to devote this week to us. I love them all sooooo much. So let this be a lesson to all us jovens in the US as to what we could be doing.
Last night I talked to Antenor Gonçalves, the missionary here, about how much I loved it here. He was like, "well then why are you going to Japan instead of here?", so I told him a short version of the story, and he went on to tell me that they are currently planning to open a vocational school here in Itu that will be run by the church, and one of their primary subjects will be English! So guess who will need an English teacher! And guess when they will probably be ready to open the school! :) Yep... around 2 years. So who knows, maybe I´ll end up here after all. Antenor sure was excited. And so am I! But don´t worry-- I am still going to Japan. God went to great lengths to show me that´s where I need to be, so I´m going.
Oh, I think you can tell how much I´m glowing through this email. I had almost forgotten how much I love this place, but now I know it´s definitely in my blood. Who knows... I am really starting to see the benefits of this campaign, too. I can´t remember if I told you guys this, but after we sang for several nights in Artur Norgeira, 6 families began Bible studies with their evangelist.
I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend. I miss you all, but I´m having a great time. Thank you all for your love, support, and encouragement.
God bless!
ann

No comments: