So as we talked about it, it came to be revealed that the concert was actually a small part of a larger evening that is an area wide singles mixer!!! If only I could have seen the look that crossed my face when I heard that, but I'm pretty sure I said something to the effect of "No way!!!!" But yes way.
It was already an act of God (quite literally) to get me to go to a singles group at church, and it took finding a group small enough that it didn't feel like a meat market. There are few things that sound less repulsive to me than going and meeting a bunch of new people who are there with an agenda. Don't I have enough self-esteem and rejection issues??? I know that sounds harsh, but I should also say that it's just not my personality not to like to be thrown into meeting a large group of new people I will probably never see again.
As you can see, I was clearly not excited about this. But then I decided that if we were going to go, we should make an impression. I implored our group to fast, pray, and meditate to discern the best Christian (or especially Dennis Jernigan) related pick up lines. I searched the internet and found these to be the cream of the crop:
- I just don't feel called to celibacy.
- Did I tell you that my great-uncle was a personal friend of Billy Graham?
- I don't see it myself, but people tell me I look like Michael W. Smith.
- What do you think Paul meant when he said, 'Greet everyone with a holy kiss'?
- You have the body of Amy Grant and the soul of Mother Teresa. (careful not to get that mixed up)
- I'm pretty flexible--I don't think a woman should be submissive on the first date.
- Before tonight, I never believed in predestination...
- Just looking at you makes me feel all ecumenical.
- I hear there's going to be a love offering tonight.
- Oh, you're cold? Maybe we should read Ecclesiastes 4:11
- Are you a religious person? Because I'm the answer to all your prayers!
So I'm going. And I'm going to have a good attitude. :) As a friend pointed out, this is going to be a great chance to people watch. :) I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!
If anyone else has any stellar pick up lines, please leave them in the comments below.