Sunday, May 16, 2004

Awesomely Bad

Today, instead of packing, I decided to watch VH1's 50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs Ever. You can see the entire ranking here. I've already had a discussion about this list with one of my former professors who feels very passionately that VH1 is hypocritical in their complete dissing of the 80s, since that is the decade that spawned the entire VH1/MTV movement. I don't know so much about that. I do know that there are some songs that I feel do not deserve to be on this list, such as "Don't Worry Be Happy" (#9), "We Didn't Start the Fire" (#41) and "She Bangs" (#8). Call me blinded by lust, but I love Ricky Martin. Yum.
Anyhoo, the song I would have like to have seen as #1 is Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue." (#20). I dislike Toby Keith with a passion. I dislike this song with a passion. One of the commentators on the show put it well when he said, "After the terror attacks of 9/11, Toby Keith felt moved to do something that required bravery and courage-- he joined the armed forces. No, wait... he just wrote a song about putting a boot in someone's ***." Nothing like a sweet dose of hatred with a dash of revenge. Just as Jesus commanded.
Off that soapbox. The songs on this list that I felt lived up to the title "awesomely bad" were "Hangin' Tough" by NKOTB (#12), "Ice, Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice (#5) and "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred (#17). Now those songs... those are the ones you make fun of in public, but when they come on the radio you belt them out.

No comments: