Monday, May 10, 2004

Book of the Moment


I received many books for graduation, most of which I have started and all of which I fully intend on completing this summer. However, the book of the day is entitled, Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller.
This book came recommmended to me from a friend who thought it reminded him of me. After reading it, I take that as a compliment. I hope that is how it was intended... :) This guy says a lot of things I would say were I more articulate and not worried about being excommunicated from "The Church." Anyway, I bought it this morning and am over halfway through it. I might finish it tonight. It is a fascinating glimpse into the mind of a man who truly cares about people and is honestly seeking God. As much as I love Max Lucado or any of the other popular Christian writers, they oftentimes seem to gloss over the meat of Christianity for more of a cotton-candyish spirituality. The theme of the book is the examination of humanity's fallen state (the sin problem) and how this penetrates our entire existance. Another strong theme I've noticed is our need for each other; not just the need of Christian for Christian or non-Christian for Christian, but the need we all have for each other... how every person is created in God's image, and we can see some characteristic of God in them, even if they haven't made Christ their Lord. Miller also struggles with the issue of remaining true to Scriptures and the Lordship of Christ, but at the same time loving and accepting all people.
I will say right now that this book is not for everyone. Blue Like Jazz presents an amazing portrait of the reaction of a product of the post-modern culture to Christianity. Most moderate to strong conservatives would recoil in horror at that statement, and if you did, you should probably not read this book. :) Miller challenges the standard white bread, Republican, GAP-like church mentality that I know most of my friends and family (and school) fall in to. So if you're feeling good and content about being in any of those categories, this may not be the read for you. But if you want to broaden your perspective, challenge yourself, or identify with someone who has asked maybe the same questions you have, then I suggest you pick it up.
I'll wrap up this too-long entry Lavar Burton style--"Of course, you don't have to take my word for it." :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am only posting anonymously because I don't want to give the government another way to track me down. Anyway, this is Ben T. and Ann, I think this is a great blog and I love the strong language. I totally want to read the book at Barnes and Noble. I need to read it while I am still too poor to be a Republican. I believe this book review should be featured in the next Christian Chronicle.