Sunday, May 28, 2006

Remembering Kyle


Maybe I'm getting thoughtful in my old age, I'm not sure, but this year I've been actually thinking about the meaning of Memorial Day.

Whether it's because of my demographic or the generation I was born into, I just don't know that many people from my peer group who have served in the military. And, I only have had one person I knew die in service. I don't know whether to thank God that I only know one or cry because it's still too many.

Kyle Seitsinger. Man, what a crazy guy. :) I met him one of my first days at OC, I guess. He was a freshman, too, even though he was almost 10 years older than me. He had served in the marines for ten years or so before starting college, and he had the most amazing life experiences for a guy only a few years older than me. He had served as an embassy guard in both Russia and Brazil, and so we would share fond rememberances of Brazil sometimes.

We were never in the same circle of friends, so when he left school for deployment in Afghanistan the November of my senior year, I honestly didn't even realize it. But I will never forget the morning the following January when I was in my US history class and I read the email saying that he had been killed the day before. My stomach dropped to the floor, and I remember thoughts of disbelief and the words "no" and "damn it" alternating in my mind.

I went to his memorial service. The only military funeral I've ever attended. I remember it as a celebration of his life, really. They showed pictures of him living and loving his life with his family, friends, and military brothers all around the world.

When remembering Kyle, pretty much everyone describes him as a "people person," and that's exactly who he was. So incredibly charming and friendly. I remember the energy that just radiated off of him and he was always ready to do whatever needed to be done. That's how he lived, and that's how he died. And I don't want to forget.

Memorial Day. This isn't a day for politics or preaching. This is a day to remember. And never forget.

---------------

This is the OC writeup of Kyle's memorial service and obituary.

This is footage later found showing some of the time shortly before he was killed.

1 comment:

Webb said...

Ann,
Words well spoken and felt. I ride with Vietnam vets and have two friends on "The Wall" in DC. Lest we forget the lessons of the past we will repeat them. More of our friends and friends of future generations will be lost. I WILL NEVER FORGET.