Monday, August 23, 2004

10 Things About Brazil

In the spirit of the Olympics and globalization and all things cultural, your favorite sensei is once again here to broaden your mind and education with what I will call:

10 Things You Should Know About Brazil
  1. Brazilians speak Portuguese, not Spanish.
  2. Brazilians are possibly the warmest and most hospitable people in the world.
  3. Brazil is huge! It is over half of South America.
  4. Brazil is the only country to win the World Cup championship 5 times. Penta!
  5. There is more to Brazilian culture than Carnival-- they have distinctive martial arts (capoeira), festivals (Festa Juninha), dancing (samba), music (bossa nova) and food.
  6. Brazil is actually home to the true father of flight.
  7. Brazil is home to the largest population of Japanese living outside of Japan.
  8. Brazil is not one big rain forest with natives running around in loin cloths throwing spears. Most of its population is very urban and advanced.
  9. Brazilians do not call their country "Brasilia." Brasilia is actually the name of the capitol city. They reference their country as "Brasil."
  10. There are amazing things to see in Brazil, from Foz do Iguacu (a park with over 300 waterfalls in one place) to amazing beaches to rainforest to modern cities.

Foz do Iguacu
Posted by Hello

Postscript

I wrote this post in 2004 based on three summers I spent in Brazil. In 2006 I moved to the city of Itu for six months. It was one of the best experiences of my life and the country of Brazil is very dear to my heart!

That said, there are so many other things I'd say about Brazil now, 5 years later. It seems silly to sum up this beautiful, diverse, complex country in 10 points. But congratulations to Rio. I look forward to seeing que delicia the 2016 olympics will be! Deus e Brasileiro, ne? ;)

Below- proof of my love for Brazil. I almost got suffocated by a huge Brazilian flag at a national volleyball game in Brasilia. :)

4 comments:

friend said...

Have you been to Brazil? It looks good.

ann said...

Yep-- I've spent 3 summers there and hope to live there someday! :)

l. said...

Simple and great post about my country. Hope to see all you guys here in 2016! :D
Beijos (kisses)!
l.

Thiago Moreira said...

Great blog and great post. I really thought you were brazilian at the beggining. Nice picture with the huge flag. From a brazilian guy who also likes to meet other cultures.