Sunday, May 06, 2007

He Wouldn't Give Me Up

This weekend was such a wonderful time of rejuvenation for me as I went camping with a group from church for a little retreat. I'm not going to tell all about it, but I just want to give thanks to God for this much needed time of fellowship and community.

We sang this song this weekend, which I've known and loved for several years. The message is so powerful.

Had it not been the Lord who was on our side
The anger of the enemy would have swallowed us alive
Had it not been the Lord who was on our side.

Had it not been the Lord who was on our side
The waters would have engulfed us, we would have surely died
Had it not been the Lord who was on our side.

Blessed be the Lord who would not give us up
Blessed be the Lord for His unfailing love
The snare is broken and we have escaped
Our help is in the name of the Lord. Blessed be the Lord!

Once in a while God grants me with a clear view of just how far I've come through the past year or two, and it truly brings me to my knees. I love the line-- "Blessed be the Lord who would not give us up." I remember those moments of complete hopelessness when I was sick. I usually describe the type of faith I had at that time as being too weak to let go, and the gift of faith from God pulling (or dragging) me along. This song gives me the image of God holding on to me and fighting for me in those darkest moments, though many other forces were trying to pull me away.

I feel as though I should live each day with an extra sense of gratefulness after what I went through. And I probably do, although it's usually not done consciously most of the time. But I thank God for moments like this weekend where I can look back on those Ebenezer stones in my life and give thanks for what God has done.

Then Samuel took a stone... He named it Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far has the LORD helped us." I Samuel 7:12



Camptreat group, courtesy of Amy Nickerson

1 comment:

crittermer said...

Oh, I love that song, too! I'm glad you had some time to reflect. I, too, am filled with thankfulness when I remember how far you've come. God truly hasn't given any of us up! Thanks for sharing.=)