Sunday, January 29, 2006

Omer of Manna

While I was in the hospital in November and December, many many packages arrived from Japan containing most of my earthly belongings. I have avoided opening them for the longest time because I just don't want to think about all that situation. But yesterday I broke down and opened a box. It was a wonderful box, too; just like Christmas. It had a bunch of decorations from my walls, my jewelry box, a photo album, and some books.

Among the books was a notebook that I started when I was in college. It's one of those black and white, marblized composition books. I think I got the idea from reading "Passion and Purity" by Elisabeth Elliot, in which she describes keeping a journal of quotes and scriptures and songs that encourage her. She named hers her "Omer of manna," taken from Exodus 16:32, "Fill an omer of it to be kept for your generations; that they may see the bread with which I have fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you out of the land of Egypt." When I began writing in my journal I was going through a rough time and wanted to record the words that gave me peace and encouragement. And I think it's one of the best things I've ever done. So many times I have looked back on those entries and they've helped remind me of the truth that can be easy to forget when times are tough. It's also nice to look back and reflect on where I've been and what God's brought me through.

The reason I share all this is that I encourage everyone to try this for a while. It's not something you have to update daily, but when a scripture, song, quote, poem, whatever it may be really speaks to you, jot in down in your journal. You never know when it will come in handy again in your own life or maybe the life of a friend.

3 comments:

jettybetty said...

That's a GREAT idea!!!
What a wonderful treat for you now!

Jessica Graumann said...

Howdy girl,
Just read your blog for the first time in a couple of weeks and I am so glad to hear that you gained weight and you are doing and feeling better.
I read those same things in "Passion and Purity" and decided to follow suit (which is difficult for me because I hate writing). I actually look forward to this writing time now and it makes it easier to come to God alot of the time because what I write down is what I usually need to bring to Him. And I have no doubt that I'll read it a couple of years from now and learn all over again the lessons He is teaching me now.
I love you so much! We are still praying for you at Johoku church and I can't wait to bring this good news to them about you feeling better. Praise God!
Love Jess

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann,

I've been encouraged to see your progress and have enjoyed reading your blog. Your Omer of Manna is a wonderful idea. I have recently been reminded that one of Satan's most powerful tools is making us forget. You can read about it in the Old Testament: over and over God rescued his people, and over and over, they forgot. I think that is why David was a man after God's own heart, he actively REMEMBERED. I think that remembering is the heart of worship. I'm encouraged Ann, that you, too, are one who remembers!

Robert B