Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Moving Target

Oh my darlin’, you must be a moving target just like me.
They’ll call you right, they’ll call you left,
they’ll call you names of all your friends.

You never know what you’ll have to do.
Baby don’t let ‘em, don’t let ‘em put a name on you.

There’s no categories just long stories waiting to be heard.
Don’t be satisfied when someone sums you up with just one word.

Blindfold your heart and feel for a clue
Baby don’t let ‘em, don’t let ‘em put a name on you.

-- Derek Webb

This is a called "Name," song from The Ringing Bell, Derek Webb's new album (the sixth song if you flip through the book on the webpage). The song talks about the danger of thinking a one word descriptor is sufficient when talking about someone. Let's take the recent blog activity for example. :) Although there are probably people who've known me and/or read my blog for a while, they might find out my thoughts on women's roles and suddenly think I'm a "liberal" or a "feminist" or "heretic" or whatever and think they know what I believe about every other thing.

In an interview, Derek explains that he believes Jesus was a "moving target" of sorts... every time the Pharisees thought they had him figured out and tried to trap him, Jesus surprised them by not fitting the mold they created. I'd like to think I'm the same way. My goal is not to be an activist for the sake of fighting or wanting change for the sake of change, but to live a life glorifying to God and value people as God does. I hope you can see past the fact that you may initially disagree with me on something(s) and try to see that maybe I have a "story waiting to be heard."

3 comments:

crittermer said...

Awhhh man, after seeing you take on e-harmony and women's roles all in the same week, I was gonna try to sum you up with the word "brave." But maybe there's more to you than that.=)

Seriously, though, it sounds like a great song and that is definitely a good point.

Summer said...

Ann, I'm coming into this discussion and posting a bit late but I hope to be part of it in any case.

I feel like a broken record, but my experiences as a grad student in Boston really did shape me in regards to respecting others and getting beyond labels. Everyone, right and left, religious or non, must realize that we need to converse with people, not shout over them.

I think you've done an amazing job of promoting conversation and mutual growth on your blog of late. Keep it up.

Summer said...

Apologies - I thought I posted something on your original "Redux" entry, but I can't see it. The gist was: I agree, I support you, and I too have decided that although I feel my gifts are not fully utilized in the Churches of Christ, they are my spiritual home, and I'd like to be a part of its future. But that decision was a long time coming!