Saturday, July 19, 2008

Let's keep talking...

One of the greatest blessings of my life has been the ministry of Let's Start Talking. I can't begin to list the ways it has enriched and blessed my life.

Long story short, what LST does is use the Bible, generally the book of Luke, to teach conversational English classes.

As I add up the years, I think I'm going on 8 years of being involved in some kind of LST work. I went to Brazil twice with them, did 3 years of classes at MRCC, did classes in both Japan and Brazil while I lived there, and now have been studying with some new friends from the Cross and Crown Mission in OKC since the beginning of the year (you may remember the tamale story).

If you want to see the Word of God as living and active, then read it with those who haven't grown callous to the stories many of us grew up with. Without exception, I have learned so much from each of the people I've read with. They open my eyes to new perspectives and new insights, and I thank God for all of them.

Sometimes I'm foolish enough to go into my classes with the attitude that I'm the one ministering to my readers, but the truth is that they show me God's love so powerfully. Today my friend, Juan, gave me this beautiful glass he etched.

God is so good. I pray He continues to give me opportunities for my eyes to be opened and for Him to show me more of His love toward me and the entire world.

5 comments:

Alisha said...

I'm a big fan of LST as well. I'm not sure I would be where I am today if it wasn't for my participation in LST during college.

Amanda said...

You know, we never actually went on an LST trip, but we've known lots of people who have. Recently someone approached the missions committee at our church about being involved and sending people. We are in process of defining our "vision" at church and they aren't ready to commit to anything, but I was happy to put in my support for the LST program. They have done a lot of good work.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the glass is personalized! That is awesome.=) --mer=)

Zoomi said...

Ann Cha~n,
Hisashiburi!
I'm thankful to what LST does in the world for God! If the team didn't come to Mito, I wouldn't have been a Christian!

celestejdvorak said...

Ann,
I too love LST. In fact, I can't hardly even talk about it or read about it without crying or at least tearing up. God has done so many great things through LST and my heart was forever changed by it. I love you for loving LST.
Celeste