Monday, November 17, 2008

Tired of allegory

I'm tired of this allegorical love business. I realize this is about on par with statements I make such as "I think it's weird that my name is an indefinite article." Yeah, I just say things like that.

But this has been wearing on me. I believe the Bible. I love God and am so blessed to consider my relationship with him genuine and intimate. But still, sometimes I wish there was more.

I read about the intense love between the Schulamite and Solomon in the Song of Songs. It's beautiful and passionate and vivid and I think really represents the kind of relationship God created us for.

And then there's the book of Hosea, where we get this image of God as the "knight in shining armor" (sort of) who rescues us again and again out of the messes we get ourselves in as a demonstration of His faithfulness and redemption and our lacking.

It's beautiful imagery. Perfect as the words of scripture always are. But sometimes I just wish He was here to tell me how much he loves me. Or here to be my defender and rescuer. Stories are great, but lately I've been wishing for something more tangible.

All of these things we experience before the restoration of the world are meant to make us long for something more... and today I'm feeling every ounce of it.

Chris Rice- "Smile"
How far are you, how close am I?
I know your words are true and I don't feel them inside
Still I believe you'll never leave
So where are you now

You're all I have, You're all I know
Your breath is breathing in my soul
Still I am gasping, aching, asking
Where are you now

Cause I just wanna be with You
I just want this waiting to be over
I just want to be with You
And it helps to know the Day is getting closer

Every minute takes an hour
Every inch feels like a mile
Til I won't have to imagine
And I finally get to see You smile

My journey's here, but my heart is There
So I dream and wait, and keep the faith, while You prepare
Our destiny, til You come back for me
Oh, please make it soon!

Cause I just wanna be with You
I just want this waiting to be over
I just want to be with You
And it helps to know the Day is getting closer

Every minute takes an hour
Every inch feels like a mile
Til I won't have to imagine
And I finally get to see You smile

2 comments:

OK Chick said...

Great post.

I just looked at your Paris pictures. It looks like you had a great time. AWWW Paris. I'm so happy you were able to go on such a great trip. SCT forever! Ok, well hopefully not forever but you get what I'm saying.

eig's Blog said...

great song!