Friday, November 26, 2004

Thanksgiving #2- The Hitachi Crew


Thomas carving the bird

Yesterday as I walked into school and said my "ohayo gozaimasu"s to everyone, I made sure to add the foreign and exotic phrase, "Happy Thanksgiving!" Although the vast majority of people looked at me in that "the poor gaijin is saying weird things" way, some actually knew that it was indeed Thanksgiving. One of the English teachers made sure to tell all of her classes, and I had all of one student come up and wish me a Happy Thanksgiving. But boy did it make me smile.

Although nothing could match being with my family for Thanksgiving, last night was a sweet substitute. A bunch of English teachers in town got together and had a true feast at Roxanna's apartment. I think we fit about 3o people in there. I was amazed at the spread of food. We had a smoked turkey, mashed potatoes (that I made, although they can't rival my mom's!), corn bread, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, and of course gravy. Plus many other side dishes that were wonderful. The Americans there were just drooling and googley eyed with wonder and amazement. The other foreigners just couldn't truly appreciate it like we did. And lest we forget that we're actually in Japan, one sweet little Japanese girl did bring sushi. :)

Ah, but I felt amiss today as I missed my ever so important tradition-- the biggest shopping day of the year. That's right, every year I join the throngs of people who decend upon the malls, but this year I was at work. So it goes, I suppose. The sacrifices I make to be in Japan-- ha ha. There will always be the day after Christmas sale. :)

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know I did. And I still have one more dinner tomorrow! Yatta!

Posted by Hello

No comments: