Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Update


Hey guys,
Just wanted to give you all an update from Brazil. Things are going very well here. I guess I could hash out all the details of everything we´ve done, but instead I´ll just hit the highlights.
Sunday was amazing. We went to worship with the Igreja de Cristo Guanabara, which is the church I´ve worked with for two summers. I just can´t tell you how happy it made me to see all of my old friends again. The church here just built a new building that I hadn´t seen yet, and it is beautiful, but the best part is that it was full! I think I´ve already written and told some of you this, but there was a woman named Valderane who started visiting when we were here 2 years ago, and now she and her husband are Christians and they attend services regularly. What a blessing!
Today we visited a hospital that specializes in treating children who have cancer. It was wonderful to play with them and see them smile and laugh, and we got to give each of them a beanie baby. As wonderful as it was, it also brough back many memories of my own hospital stay. It broke my heart to know that these children are so young that being sick is all they´ve known, and might be all they know their entire lives. I was deeply effected (affected?). Tonight we´re visiting an English school. I asked the missionaries here if they could help me talk to the owners and find out what they´re looking for in teachers, but they said that instead of looking to work at a language school I should talk to a local American school. Ken Graves is probably going to take me there some time this week. Yes, I´ll be in Japan for two years, but after that who knows? :)
I guess that´s all I have to say for now. I love you all and miss you very much, but I´m having a fabulous time here. Keep the kids who we visited today in your prayers. And their families.
Beijos-
ann

No comments: