Friday, July 23, 2004

Summer Reading

Uncommited, over-ambitious, and unfocused aren’t words I’d usually allow anyone to use in description of me-- except when it comes to my reading habits. As mentioned in my 100 things list, I have a very bad habit of reading more than one book at a time. This has reached a head this summer, when I realized that I am in the midst of reading 9 books! It was 10, but I actually just finished one two days ago.

1.  The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand– started about 4 years ago because I intended on entering an essay contest about the book. I go through long spans of not reading this book, because I’m not really into the whole Objectivism thing. I just wonder what happens to the people.
2.  Brave New World by Aldous Huxley– I began this last summer I think. The main reason I haven’t finished it is because school began and I got too busy. I am really enjoying it so far, though.
3.  Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien– I began this last Christmas and am over halfway through with The Two Towers. I absolutely love these books, but other books just seem to crowd it out. I am also not watching the movies until I read the book– for example, I have only seen "The Fellowship of the Ring" movie because that is the only book I have finished.
4.  The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams– I began this right after graduation and am really enjoying this book so far, but I definitely have to be in a certain mood while reading to really appreciate the humor.
5.  The Life of Pi by Yann Martel– I began reading this in Brazil when I wasn’t in my funny Hitchhiker’s Guide mood. I really need to focus more time on this book.
6.  Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury– I began this after returning from Brazil because I wanted to see why Michael Moore took a spinoff of the title for his movie. Also good, but a little dark.
7.  The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks– I began this a week or so ago after going to see The Notebook with a friend, who then insisted that I must read this (the sequel). It was pure fluff, mushy gushy reading, but sometimes that’s what you’re looking for. :) I finished it two days ago.
8.  Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard– I started this after returning from Honduras. I am enjoying it, but it is really dense reading and very philosophical, so it is hard for me to read a lot in a big stretch.
9.  Myths America Lives By by Richard Hughes– I just got this one in OKC. My interest in this began after reading a review of it by one of my old professors in the Christian Chronicle. So far, I think I’m really going to like it. It is also very intellectual and dense so far.
10.  Mere Discipleship by Lee Camp– I also got this one in OKC after having it come highly recommended from a friend of mine.

So there’s my summer reading list. I think the only books I have read and finished this summer are The Wedding and Blue Like Jazz (which I will probably re-read).  Feel free to make any suggestions as to which ones I should prioritize!



No comments: