Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Score One for the Amerika-jin

There are two classes that I teach on my own, which are the equivalent of the 7th and 8th grade elective English classes. These are kids who were actually crazy enough to want to take another English class. ;) No no, they're great kids, and they're alllll mine. I choose everything about the classes and conduct them entirely by myself. Today I had a lesson about the importance of knowing a phrase more than "I'm fine, thank you, how are you?" when responding to the question, "How are you?" I heard a story tonight that once Janet Jackson was touring in Japan and she said something like, "How are you tonight, Japan!?" and the entire crowd responded in unison, "I'M FINE, THANK YOU, AND YOU?" :) Gotta love it. So today we learned all kinds of words (adjectives) that you can say instead of fine. It will definitely be a challenge to come up with new materials for these two classes every week. But it is flattering to have the fellow English teachers think I am capable of doing it.
One thing that gives me some reassurance (and maybe even a little bit of joy) here is when I see a Japanese person who looks even more confused about something than I am. For example, today on the bus a girl got off and acted like she didn't know how to pay her money and had to have the bus driver explain it all to her. I was like, "whoa, I know something that that Japanese person doesn't know." :) Good feeling, even though it was at the expense of another.

No comments: