Sunday, August 15, 2004

Cyrus Manning on Worship

An example of why I love Leaving Ruin, a novel by Jeff Berryman (although I cannot vouch for the grammar).

Exposition: Cyrus Manning, a preacher at a small town Christian church, is on the verge of getting fired and is explaining why some of what he believes makes people nervous.

And there’s other stuff, worship “issues”-- issues is a word that raises the ridiculous to a serious level of debate-- but I can’t get too worked up over this one. I like the old gospel hymns and the new praise songs, and again, I don’t care really cause I figure God likes music and variety, and praise is in the heart, and Jesus can change channels when he gets bored with one style or another. Worship styles 101. In spirit and in truth, and walk humbly, and I want justice and mercy rather than sacrifice, and maybe Evangelicals and Mystics and Charismatics and the High Liturgicals should just trade places once a month. I look at the entrails of my body, and the ecosystems of the planet, and I get diversity, but I also get truth, and the great evidence of God’s presence, and if he’d wanted to cross the t’s and dot the i’s he could’ve and would’ve, and on and on I go, just talking, talking, and a person starts to get the picture after a while.
I get in trouble all the time.

Don’t be surprised if more quotes from this novel pop up on my blog.


No comments: