Sunday, January 16, 2005

Martin Luther King Jr.



We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.


From "Letter from Birmingham Jail," April 16, 1963

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.

Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech, Dec. 10, 1964

I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live.

Speech in Detroit, June 23, 1963

I just want to do God's will. And he’s allowed me to go to the mountain. And I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land! I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land.

From an address given in Memphis the night before his assassination, April 3, 1968

It is my prayer that the good people of the world won't rest until all people are acknowledged as equally deserving opportunity, respsect, and justice. So on this day, let's take some time to honor and reflect on the lives of those people who have taken a stand for truth in the face of opposition.

PS- Kudos to my alma mater for honoring Dr. King on the website. www.oc.edu

No comments: