Tuesday, January 18, 2005

One down

Well I managed to conquer one of my new year's resolutions... I memorized a poem! However, the journey is not complete, because I am going to try to memorize several this year. Here is the one I have so far.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire,
I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
--Robert Frost

2 comments:

English Professor said...

Oh, good for you! Memorizing poetry is a wonderful thing. Edgar Allen Poe is the absolute easiest to memorize, but he may be a bit dark for your taste. Kipling's good, too, though when he writes in dialect it can be difficult. My husband travels, and often when he comes through the door I am moved to say, "Home is the sailor, home from the sea / And the hunter is home from the hill." He probably thinks I'm nuts, but RL Stevenson will stay with you.

bobbie said...

hi ann, thanks for your comment on my blog! i love your 'sojochick' name - looking forward to reading more of your blog - congrats on the memory thing. i think that 'use it or loose it' really applies here. i used to have such a great memory - now things just seem to evaporate up there... keep it up!